The Music Engineering program at the University of Miami was founded in 1975 with a Bachelor of Music degree program; since then it has graduated over 400 undergraduate students. The Master of Science degree program was started in 1986 and its dozens of graduates have also helped to grow and maintain UM’s reputation as the “place to go” for those who want a high-level audio technology education. Our undergraduate students have forged professional careers throughout the music recording industry.
Our students have found careers working for many well known and established companies throughout the audio industry. A quick glance at our our Job Placement list should provide some insight to the depth and breadth of the companies which have hired UM graduates.
Students listed with a (GMuE) are graduate students. Some students may appear more than once, reflecting employment changes in their careers. Although many of our students participate in summer internships, these internships do not appear on this list; these are full-time positions held by MuE alumni.
References to any students’ personal websites/blogs are available on the Students Page.
We maintain a listing of all alumni of the program. If you are an alumna or alumnus and do not see your name listed, please let us know!
MuE alumni have worked with some of the most influential artists. We’ve illustrated a few of these recognized engineers in our Album Credits list.
Because of UM’s reputation and extensive alumni support, our students often enjoy a steady stream of employment opportunities and maintain a prestigious Job Placement record.
- Santoro, C., and C. Cheng. 2009. “Multiple F0 Estimation in the Transform Domain”. Proceedings of the 10th International Society for Music Information Retrieval Conference, Kobe, Japan.
- De l’Etoile, S., and C. Leider. 2009. “Acoustic Parameters of Infant-Directed Singing in Mothers with Depressive Symptoms.” Paper presented at the 2009 Annual Conference of the American Music Therapy Association, San Diego, November 13.
- Cano, E., and C. Cheng. 2009. “Melody Line Detection and Source Separation in Classical Saxophone Recordings.” Proceedings of the 12th International Conference on Digital Audio Effects, Como, Italy, September 4.
- Deslauriers, G., and C. Leider. 2009. “A Bandlimited Oscillator by Frequency-Domain Synthesis for Virtual-Analog Applications.” Proceedings of the 127th Annual Convention of the Audio Engineering Society. New York: Audio Engineering Society.
- R. Radhakrishnan, C. Bauer, C. Cheng, and K. Terry. 2007. “Audio Signature Extraction Based on Projections of Spectrograms.” Proceedings of the 2007 IEEE International Conference on Multimedia and Expo, Beijing, July 5. New York: Institute for Electrical and Electronics Engineers.
Visit the Publication and Scholarship page for more information .